My Country: RWANDA

14762305410_ffa3455b96_z

Flikr

Hello everyone!!

Hope you had a great weekend! Today, I decided to talk about my country; Rwanda. I have lived my whole life in Senegal (about 11 years) but before, I lived in Rwanda. My mom and dad are both 100% Rwandan which makes me on too. Known for its bloody Genocide; there is still so many amazing facts and places about Rwanda that you guys should all know. Here are 10 amazing facts of Rwanda:

1. Rwanda is a small, mountainous landlocked country in East Africa.
  2. In fact, Rwanda earned the nickname ‘Land of a Thousand Hills’ due to its mountainous terrain!
  3. The capital of Rwanda is Kigali.
  4. Plastic bags are not allowed in Rwanda due to the mess and environmental harm they can cause, that’s amazing!
  5. In fact, they are so concerned about cleanliness that in Kigali it is compulsory for all residents to help clean their community on the last Saturday of each month! (Called Umuganda)
  6. Umuganda can be translated as ‘coming together in common purpose to achieve an outcome’.
  7. 80% of Rwandans take part in Umuganda, between 18 t0 65 .
  8. Rwandans have built schools, medical centers, hydroelectric plants, and rehabilitated wetlands to create highly productive agricultural plots, and cleaned their cities, towns and villages – making Kigali one of the cleanest cities in Africa.
  9. Did you know, Rwanda is the first country in the world to have a female majority parliament? Girl power!
  10. The official languages of Rwanda are French, English, Kinyarwanda and Kiswahili (which is a mix of Kinyarwanda and Swahili).

Hope you like it!!! (Don’t forget to comment ♥)

26581358310_8b91599a4b_z

Flikr

2 Comments on My Country: RWANDA

1. hakimsblog
    November 10 at 2:14 pm (7 years ago)

Hey Johanna! I’ve never been to Rwanda but My mum used to live their and I grew up in Kenya. It’s nice to see the similarities between the two countries East Africa really rocks!!!

Reply
    • johannaisd20
      November 14 at 12:52 pm (7 years ago)

Hey Hakim! Thank you for commenting. I never knew that Kenya and Rwanda were similar and I agree that East Africa rocks!!!!!!!

Reply